[OSM-talk] Open sourcing of POI pictures for OSM App/STAPPZ - Feedback and ideas wanted
Tim Frey
2018-05-15 08:53:24 UTC
Hello Milo,

thanks a lot for your long and detailed feedback. I appreciate that a lot.

The use cases you described with waste, hazards and so on are interesting – for such cases, we implemented a first version to tag posts
 so in theory it would be possible with the current API.

My key thought is: How and where do we get more users who tell the stories and get started with this? Someone has suggestions?

The POI database – my original key thought was to link the OSM POIs like fountains, restaurants – barely everything to descriptions and pictures to provide the most value added to the community.
I’m not certain if this is what you meant by sustainable development goals. Therefore, please elaborate if I got this right?

Best
Tim

2018-05-15 21:43:59 UTC
Hi Tim,
Out of this, we consider, heavily, to “open source” the licensing of the
user created STAPPZ content for the OSM community. In addition, we also
consider to open source the backend of STAPPZ and the IOS and Android
app to make a community project out of it.
I'm going to split this reply into two parts: About the content, and
about the software itself.

As for the content, a lot depends on if you can publish the images under
the terms of an open license.¹ That's a legal question, but probably
also a bit of a social one (i.e. would this be in line with what the
creators expected when they shared their images on your app, or would
they be unpleasantly surprised/unhappy about this).

Assuming the answer is that yes, you can publish them, the next question
is what to do with the images. OSM does not currently have an image
hosting platform, so if we're only talking about contributing the
images, they would need to be donated to a separate platform.

The obvious recipient for such an image donation would be Wikimedia
Commons, as they're the most popular repository for open-licensed media.
Images on Commons can be linked with OpenStreetMap POIs² and are used as
such by some OSM-based maps. Of course, they're also used by Wikipedia
and its sister projects – notably Wikitravel, which is a crowdsourced
travel guide (although much closer to the traditional book format than
your project).

A caveat is that such a donation would likely require some manual effort
to filter out lower-quality pictures or duplicates, and to add
meaningful descriptions. Still, assuming the legalities work out, it
seems feasible to donate the images and would be a generous contribution
to the open content ecosystem.

Ok, so let's talk about the app and backend a bit. I'm not sure how
familiar you are with OSM's organizational model, but as a rule we're
very decentralized – even core components of OSM are being developed as
mostly independent Open Source projects. For you, this means that even
if there's community interest, any re-use of your project would probably
still start out with _you_ spearheading its development, re-imagining it
as something you believe fits a need of the OSM community, and trying to
gain mindshare in the OSM contributor and developer community. Of
course, this may be at odds with your goal to focus on other projects.

If this does not discourage you, though, let's consider what needs the
software could serve. I don't have any amazing ideas to offer, but I
could see two basic roles in the OSM ecosystem an image platform might
potentially be able to fill. Broadly speaking:
* Images could be used internally by OSM contributors as a data source
for mapping in addition to sources as aerial imagery and GPS tracks.
* Images could be displayed by user-facing sites and apps alongside OSM
data. (I believe this is what you were getting at with your Google Maps
comparison.)

The former use case is already partially covered by
Mapillary/OpenStreetCam, so the question is if there's enough of a niche
left for another app.

The latter seems more ambitious. As I mentioned before, mappers are
currently using tags like image=* with links to external platforms to
add images to OSM POI. Those links can technically point anywhere,
although Wikimedia Commons currently appears to be the most popular
platform to host the images. Inviting users (including non-mappers) to
easily contribute images to a dedicated, OSM-affiliated platform might
be a worthwhile cause. Not sure how well this fits your platform's
existing social features, though.

Tobias

¹ Typically one of the open CC licenses: CC0, CC-BY or CC-BY-SA.
² Using http://wiki.osm.org/Key:image
or http://wiki.osm.org/Key:wikimedia_commons
Kathleen Lu
2018-05-15 22:24:51 UTC
Hi Tim,
Your app and what you hope to do with it both sound interesting. I hope you
are successful.
Here's some more information on the open licensing front to consider:
- In order to have the legal rights necessary to "open" the material your
users contributed, you would likely needed to have gotten a perpetual
irrevocable royalty-free license with an unlimited right to sublicense (not
limited to only your affiliates, etc), or an assignment, though the latter
is far more than needed.
- But would use of the photos/text outside of the STAPPZ app be consistent
with your users' expectations for their photos/text? If no, then even if
you can legally do it you may be passing an unwelcome burden to an open
community.
- What open license would you provide the photos/text under? CC-BY is a
common one for photos, though it is not inherently compatible with ODbL
(the license for OSM). There is however a waiver template that makes CC-BY
it compatible with ODbL:
https://blog.openstreetmap.org/2017/03/17/use-of-cc-by-data/
There is the separate issue with CC-BY that users are supposed to attribute
the author. Do your users expect/want their names to be attributed to the
photos if they are used outside the App? This may raise data privacy issues
a well (especially with GDPR coming into enforcement).
- As for open source of the code, you'll have a choice between a
permissive license (e.g. MIT, BSD, ISC, DWTFYW) or a copyleft license (e.g.
GPL, LGPL) or something in between (MPL, Apache). Permissive licenses make
it easier for someone else to take over the project, though there is the
possibility that they will take it in a direction you do not like (e.g.,
build a new version but not open the code to the new version). Copyleft
licenses are intended to guard against this, but most companies do not like
working with copyleft code and many ban it, so there would be a smaller
pool of potential interest.
You can see OSMF's current open source projects here:
https://github.com/openstreetmap. The licenses currently used are ISC, BSD,
DWTFYW, Apache 2.0, and GPL.
Best of luck!
-Kathleen
Post by Tobias Knerr
Hi Tim,
Tim Frey
2018-05-16 08:16:55 UTC
Thank you Kathleen and Tobias,

This is some very valuable insight.

From our terms of use, we could likely open the content, but you are right – it is about what users think. Hence, we will and can ask them. Thanks a lot for rising this point.

One rising concern, when I read your text, Kathleen, is the GDPR – what happens if a user wants content deleted and it is already copied all over the web by an open license. Or even worse, a user uploads a picture of a scenery and there are human faces in the scenery .. and this picture is distributed. I see potential problems here for us and the organizations using the pictures. Additional thoughts please?

I like the Wikipedia and in special the Wikivoyage direction also. Does somebody know the best touchpoints to get in contact with the community there?

In general, I agree to what you said that manual work for content filtering and legal issues would be needed – what is also one point for us to discuss with the community first: We can provide the software and open source the stuff, but to create valuable content for the specific use cases, we’ll need the community and partners who share common goals to get this successfully going. So all ideas in this direction are welcome, too.

Tobias Knerr
2018-05-19 12:08:55 UTC
Hi Tim,
Post by Tim Frey
I like the Wikipedia and in special the Wikivoyage direction also. Does
somebody know the best touchpoints to get in contact with the community
there?
I'm not familiar enough with their communities to give a recommendation.
However, Commons does "partnerships" with owners/maintainers of media
collections: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Partnerships
You could give the contact listed there a try.
Tim Frey
2018-05-22 10:06:26 UTC
Hi Tobias,

thanks a lot - I'll give it a try and see what comes out.

Best
Tim

Tim Frey
2018-05-18 13:20:51 UTC
Hi All,

short sum up:

We are discussing about “open sourcing/open contenting” our STAPPZ POI picture mapping APP for the OSM community and what prerequisites we need to fulfill to make this a success.

@Kathleen

Thanks a lot for your insights Kathleen, those helped a lot in our internal discussions. I appreciate that a lot!

@Milo
Thank you so much Milo. Yes, please do!

We discussed in our company about the next steps that we would need to take to contribute to OSM.

At the end, our discussions boil down to the acceptance and contributions of OSM mappers to the picture POI database.

Logically, it only makes sense for us to take the effort to open source in a step by step way, when we have enough support from the community.
In order to make it a sustainable success, we’d like to have a group of people or fellow companies who would contribute and help to spread the word.

Therefore, I’d like to ask who would we open minded to support our efforts and contribute?

If someone has additional thoughts or ideas, please add.

Best

Tim